WEDNESDAY'S HUM ( 6-14-06 )
Story out of Northampton, Ma. about public education grant to be used by three communities in Western Mass to raise awareness about the evils of idling. Gist of the article comes down to:
- " If you're going to idle your vehicle for more than 10 seconds, it's better to turn your engine off."
- " It will save you gas, but more importantly, it will reduce greenhouse emissions."
- Idling-reduction programs have already started at certain elementary schools in Amherst, Northampton and Easthampton.
- Did you know that Massachusetts state law limits idling to five minutes, with exceptions.
- One drawback of turning vehicle on and off a lot ? Tough on the starter.
Check out the Burlingtonian for funny cartoon of Uncle Sam with the shakes.
As if Duke University needs more bad press. Squeaky clean J.J. Reddick, who along with Duke has a huge fan base in northern Vermont, was arrested on drunk driving charges in North Carolina. You'd think he could afford a cab with the big money coming his way.
NEXT UP - TOM LICATA
To those of you who thought Licata was a new dance craze or a specialty pasta from Price Chopper, guess again. Tom Licata is a ward 6 resident of Burlington who has run for a city council seat, unsuccessfully. He's also spearheaded a tax revolt, and Monday was his night in the sun, er, spotlight. Read some of his comments here along with comments of other very unhappy people, courtesy of WCAX.com.
FIVE CORNERS UPDATE
It was bumper sticker heaven at the Essex Junction Five Corners Light yesterday. The car in front of me had one that read, Tailgaiters Buy My Cars, while the car up ahead in the right lane had a message stating, Your Little Princess is My Little Whore. The lady in the first vehicle looked to be a cigarette afficionado, and the gentleman driving the rusty princess whore vehicle looked, well, undereducated.
There were also numerous trucks with numbers on them, presumably carrying drivers who just can't get enough Nascar in their lives. Those drivers also looked, well, undereducated. But macho.
The best bumper sticker simply said, Breathe Deeply, which is not a good idea at the Five Corners, or as I lovingly call it, Idler's Cove. But I breathed deeply anyway, and felt better for it.