SATURDAY'S HUM (02-09-08)
VT LOTTERY LEASE A BIG GAMBLE
UNPROVEN PLAN NOT A SURE BET
Mucho resistance against Governor Smoothie's lottery lease plan.
Here are bullet points pro and con:
* One time front-loaded payment of 50 million.
* State guaranteed yearly payment of at least 20 million.
* Ability to raise revenue without raising taxes.
* Private lottery management firm would be administrator.
* Yearly payment to Vermont would be basically the same as the lottery derives presently,
* After one-time payment is spent, then what?
* Aggressive private operator would change complexion of lottery face, encouraging more low income folks to spend their money unwisely.
Also, new lottery administrators would target
* Vermont's "play responsibly" feel would be gone.
* Private lease plan is unproven. Would there be damaging 'kinks' in the system?
* Simply put, more Vermonters would have to gamble for this thing to work. Do we want that?
Here's what Bob Donnis feels about the Vermont lottery in general, in a stimulating My Turn. If you have any interest in the lottery issue, please scan this. It will take approximately 4 minutes. (Free Press, 02-06-08)
POLLINA NOT RUNNING
Anthony Pollina was spotted recently, walking, not running. Guess he can't run ALL the time.
ESSEX JUNCTION FIVE CORNERS UPDATE
Screeched up to Essex Junction Five Corners light today knowing I had a few hours to kill.
I got on the cell and called my techno-guru, insisting he come up with a clicker for me, one that could change the Five Corners light system at my command, therefore allowing me to create a green light whenever I wanted. I was sick of waiting and I wanted answers!
My TG told me the technology to control the Essex Junction Five Corner light system was about a year away, and to hold on.
I don't know if I can.