Friday

SATURDAY'S HUM (02-09-08)

VT LOTTERY LEASE A BIG GAMBLE
UNPROVEN PLAN NOT A SURE BET

Mucho resistance against Governor Smoothie's lottery lease plan.
Here are bullet points pro and con:
Pro

* Stability. Lease would be for 40 years.
* One time front-loaded payment of 50 million.
* State guaranteed yearly payment of at least 20 million.
* Ability to raise revenue without raising taxes.
* Private lottery management firm would be administrator.
* Yearly payment to Vermont would be basically the same as the lottery derives presently,
without all the mess and fuss.
Con

* Resistance from more than one Vermont political party.
* After one-time payment is spent, then what?
* Aggressive private operator would change complexion of lottery face, encouraging more low income folks to spend their money unwisely.
Also, new lottery administrators would target
wider selection of Vermonters, especially middle-class.
* Other states have rejected lottery lease. Currently zero states have plan.
* Vermont's "play responsibly" feel would be gone.
* Private lease plan is unproven. Would there be damaging 'kinks' in the system?
* Simply put, more Vermonters would have to gamble for this thing to work. Do we want that?

Vermont Hum Gut Feeling

* Don't do it. It's too sketchy. It's too risky. And we already feel guilty enough about legalized gambling without this!

Here's what Bob Donnis feels about the Vermont lottery in general, in a stimulating My Turn. If you have any interest in the lottery issue, please scan this. It will take approximately 4 minutes. (Free Press, 02-06-08)


POLLINA NOT RUNNING
Anthony Pollina was spotted recently, walking, not running. Guess he can't run ALL the time.


ESSEX JUNCTION FIVE CORNERS UPDATE
Screeched up to Essex Junction Five Corners light today knowing I had a few hours to kill.

I got on the cell and called my techno-guru, insisting he come up with a clicker for me, one that could change the Five Corners light system at my command, therefore allowing me to create a green light whenever I wanted. I was sick of waiting and I wanted answers!

My TG told me the technology to control the Essex Junction Five Corner light system was about a year away, and to hold on.

I don't know if I can.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

BLOGPILE
  • Burlington Pol
  • Gone but not forgotten
  • Shatter Nicely
  • SNARKY BOY/Broadsides
  • Seven Days Blogs
  • Collectors Item
  • Vermont Tiger
  • Rational Resistance
  • ibrattleboro.com
  • Vermont Buzz
  • Vermont View
  • VermontNewsGuy
  • Vermont Digger
  • Vermont Gardener
  • Blazing Indiscretions
  • Green Mountain Daily
  • My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Essex Junction, Vermont

    Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died. ~Erma Bombeck

    Powered by Blogger